Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Week 1 Check-in Time

Hello! A couple of us have decided to band together and write our way through April. The first full week of April has passed--it's time to report. How are you doing?

I'll admit that this week was a great one--but for so many other things than writing. The sun was out, so Clara and I took many walks in her wagon. We played in the park altogether. Easter and family and a birthday party ruled the weekend. In short, I let many loves fill up the week, and my story-love suffered. I wrote 450 words. That's it. They're interesting words, but they are so few.

Last month, when I was struggling with my story, Laini Taylor recommended the book Page after Page by Heather Sellers. It came in the mail yesterday, and I've enjoyed reading it. Sellers meditates a lot on the resistance we put up as soon as we start a New Great Thing:

"I will write. In our minds we say: I'll incorporate more writing, better writing, into my life. Then when it comes down to doing the new thing, we say no. In so many ways, big and small, we say no. Can't do it. The thing we want seems good in our head; the reality of practicing it feels very different.
We tend to sketch out how things should be and then they play out quite differently. We don't like that. I want to learn to write. But not this way. I want to learn the new thing. Not in this way.
That's how it was, exactly, for me. I wanted to learn some more yoga techniques. I signed up for class and paid in advance. I bought a new sticky mat, and another book on yoga, and I went to my first class. I sat cross-legged. I wanted to learn yoga. But not from that teacher who was chubby and odd and not very good. . .
Whenever you take a class or buy a book or start a new endeavor, it won't be how you expect. You have to figure out how to learn from that class. That book. That particular endeavor. You have to let it teach you. Resistance is our way of shutting down fear."

It seems clear I've resisted my stories this week. I'm trying to hush my mind to hear why. And I think, for me, the reasons are common ones: I'm afraid the story on paper won't look like the story in my head. And I don't really know what's going to happen. Two big fears that keep me from the computer and usher me outside in the April sun with my baby.

So my goal for Week 2? 1500 words, and facing my fears. Letting the stuff on paper be what it is. And--the bigger of the two fears--facing the unknown with my characters and letting them guide me on the honest plot path.

How did you do this week? What did you learn? And what are your goals for Week 2? Jo and Jay, I look forward to hearing from you!

3 comments:

  1. I wrote the first 331 words of a new story this week. However, it is not so new to me. I really resonate with your blog post today. I have let fear keep me from trying to write my stories most of my life. Even when I took creative writing or playwrighting classes, I wouldn't write the story I wanted to - just in case it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to. So I chose to write second-rate stories that I didn't care too much about. That way if it didn't turn out the right way - no big deal, it's just for a grade. It didn't matter where they ended up, and my heart was safe from breaking.

    Isn't that sad? So here I am, starting a story that I care about. One that has been ruminating for the last year or so. Not too many words yet, but a big step for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've written 1,155 words of my young adult novel since joining the word count. I'm on Chapter 14 of this story that I started April 3rd of 2004. I'd like to have Chapter 14 done by the end of the week.

    Having fellow writers interested in my progress will be an excellent motivation. I love writing. Few things are more fun for me. I just don't always make it a priority. I get so easily distracted by things I enjoy so much less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting that book, Jes! Let's celebrate the words that you DID write this week. I was not so productive either. Traveling to and from San Diego, teaching, taking Lily to do therapy dog work with troubled teen boys, lots got in the way of the story this week. My hubby is leaving for the weekend and Sunday we will be rained in so I plan to get LOTS of writing done this weekend to make up for not as much progress last week. I think I had two days that were productive - one 2,000+ word day and another 1,000+ word day but then I fell flat. It's too hot to walk the day so I'm settling in for some writing right now. Hope to get an hour of solid writing in before I have to walk Lily. This blog resonated on other levels as well though. Since getting married, I've put on 40 pounds. :-( I want to lose weight but not THAT way. I don't want to give up having sweets for my husband in the house (though I can't stay out of them myself). I want to go back to being vegan, but I don't want to do it THAT way - where I have to spend so much time pre-planning. Sigh. I want, I want, I want. My way. I have to get that book!
    We can do this, Jes! Let's set a small goat for next week and reach it. My goat for the next week is 6,000 words. How's that? I think it's attainable by next Thursday! Happy writing, everyone!

    ReplyDelete