Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Week 3: SCBWI and the Fab Four

Two years ago, I went to a book signing to meet Thomas Maltman. He was a teacher at Silver Lake College where I had started taking grad courses. Strange as it sounds, Tom was my advisor, but we had never met. Our schedules constantly conflicted. Luckily, my husband and I had a little time to chat with Tom that Thursday night at Conkey's Bookstore in Appleton. We asked him about his writing, and asked for his autograph, and then I shyly mentioned I had written a story. He asked me about it, and I blundered through a hazy explanation. He said it sounded interesting and that I could send it to him if I wanted.

Okay. Is it clear that Thomas Maltman is a good, good person? Because, who does that? Who takes interest in a stranger's obviously amateur work and asks to see it? Almost no one. Beautiful Thomas Maltman and his lovely, haunting book, The Night Birds.
Nervously, I emailed my story to him. He emailed back with kind words, saying the story was Grimmish--high praise!--and he passed it on to an editor friend of his.

His editor friend, Nick Healy, from Compass Point Books/Picture Window Books, wrote six months later. He said the writing was strong and fresh and the plot was original. His publishing house didn't work with fantasy picture books, unfortunately. His best suggestion was for me to connect myself with SCBWI, the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.

Is it also clear that Nick Healy is a good, good person? Because, how many manuscripts do editors page through? Not only to read my story but to respond personally to me, an utterly untrained, unagented novice, was a gracious gesture.


I had never heard of SCBWI. Having no real sense of what good it could do, I signed up February 2009, paid the dues, and received a membership card. Then I had a baby. :)

This tale is my twisty-turny homage to two kind strangers who helped me find my way to Milwaukee last Saturday to listen to editor Molly O'Neill speak at the SCBWI-Wisconsin chapter's Spring Luncheon. Saturday's event was my first real introduction into the world of children's book writers. Guys, it was fantastic! What I got out of it the most was, we--all four of us--can absolutely do this. This is a world we belong in!


Molly O'Neill is passionate about books. She spoke frankly on how we can write a story that makes editors fall in love. She also explained an editor's journey, from loving a story, to considering seriously who else would love it, to talking about it constantly to her peers and colleagues. She shared an honest fact: if she loves a story, but can't see how it could sell well, she won't sign that author on because she would be doing a disservice to that author. Creating a bad sales record actually hurts an author in future endeavors. Interesting, isn't it? As we write our first drafts, we (I) just dream of getting a contract. Sales--marketing, publicity, awards, book lists--are vital. We need to reach for them, somehow, too. But without looking like we are. Right? Maybe even without telling ourselves we are. Hmm. Wouldn't you love to hear what published authors think about this issue?


SCBWI offers its members tons of support. Critiqe groups and listserv chat-groups. Workshops throughout the year as well as regional seminars and retreats. Editors, agents, and published writers are invited to speak. I heard a handful of success tales about how members met agents and editors at society events who bought their stories. In fact, those who attended the luncheon get to send Molly one manuscript this year. I'm crossing all my fingers that my story can be one she'll fall in love with. :)



So. How did I do this week? My goal was 6000 words. I wrote 1900. Yowza.


But I brainstormed more this morning, and I've got a good feeling. I expanded the setting: more space, more time. I'm jumping into week 4 with another goal of 6000 and a determination to meet it. Crazy-congratulations to Jennie for exceeding her 6000 words last week! Bravo!! Your enthusiasm for your story, the love-affair you have with your characters, is truly inspirational. :)

DM, how's chapter 14? And is chapter 15 outlined and ready to go? jldy, how are you doing? You've got some foundations set, and now you're slowly building, right? Tell us how you power through.

What secret did you learn about yourself this week? Better yet, what did you learn about a character? I learned a character really likes "The Wizard of Oz." How cool of her! I had no idea before last Tuesday when she started talking about playing "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching the movie.

My character's obssession with Oz makes me think of us a little bit. The Technicolor Fab Four, skipping down our yellow brick road toward the Emerald Publishing House. We can help each other along the way: put out fires, wake each other when we get poppy-sleepy, and oil each other's creaky joints. :) What do you think?






Weee're off! Week 4, here we come!


4 comments:

  1. Chapter 14 is done -- hooray! Though this week I produced a meager 721 words...

    (crickets chirping)

    But 15 is on the way, and I have a good idea of where it will lead. At the very least, I know which highlights I wish to hit along the way. It just reamins to be seen how my characters act and react to what will occur. It really does sometimes seem to happen like a live performance that way.

    Excellent job getting out 1900 words, Jess! I know how many other pots you have cooking during the week (including maintaining this blog), so it is quite an achievement. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Oz reference! I feel very much like the Cowardly Lion this week for various reasons. The good news is, I will gain courage in our trip. Jes, I think you are destined for great things. The pieces are falling into place, the planets are alligning...it's too late for a third cliche, but I was really reaching for one. A baby is a great reason to stray away from writing (what an adorable picture!). Now that you are back and on the path again, I'm sure things will happen just as they should have. How fun to be a part of your journey!

    I set a goal of 6,000 this week and fell short. 4,200 were all I got out. I allowed myself to get distracted quite easily. I opened the door everytime life rang the bell and let it in. :-/ Next week, I shall set a smaller goat of 4,000. Easier to obtain with an anniversary coming up and two days of hiking and exploring to do in celebration!

    Your blog posts have been very inspirational. Thank you for sharing all of this great information with us.

    (singing) Follow the Yellow Brick Road, Follow the Yellow Brick Road...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned this week that I know very little about ten year old boys. I had no clue that I might need that kind of information. What do they think, or why is he pouting? Nevertheless I'm coming in with a proud 709 words. Each week I come closer to 1000, so next week my goal is to push past it: 1001 words. :)

    This week I've finally moved past the set up. There are still people to meet, but they'll come in eventually I'm sure. Also, I've met some characters that I didn't expect. Looking at the current list of characters, however, I see a need to infuse more of a male perspective.

    What are your thoughts on a prologue? Dan Brown depends on them. They offer intrigue. Still, I think that might have been part of my issue the last couple of weeks. I started in the middle of the story and then went back to the beginning. It looks very much like a prologue. Making the connection between the later time and an earlier one was slow and tough. It was worth it, though, because I think there is enough foundation to build many chapters.

    I found freedom from some recent advise. I put a disclaimer in the header warning anyone who might find this story before it's ready that it is the "first shitty draft". It's not brilliant stuff. I'm just working through my plot and finding out who my characters are and who they want to be. The disclaimer also serves as a reminder to me while I work not to get caught up in 'wrighting' wonderful sentances and perfecting paragraphs. Just write. Butt in chair. Good stuff, bad stuff, it doesn't matter as long as it comes out onto the page.

    Lastly, I'm finding that mapping out the story is much more useful to me than an outline. My little map is growing with notes and descriptions. It lets me look down at my new little world from above and move the plot around. There is no chronological order to keep track of, and the map can continue to expand.

    P.S. Did you see that Mr. Jim DeVita will be in Waiting for Godot this summer? I do so hope that I might see that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journey is so exciting, Jes, that my heart beats little faster... finish that story! Send it in!

    ReplyDelete