Friday, December 3, 2010

Jo's Pink Ribbon

I'm thinking about Jo March tonight. Do you remember in Little Women when Jo first took her manuscript to a magazine editor in New York? Didn't she lovingly wrap her pages in a pink ribbon? I'm fairly sure a ribbon was involved. And I'm fairly sure the whole bundle hit the bottom of a wire trash bin before she had a chance to pull her skirts from the quickly-closing door.

I know. It's so common. The bundle of papers on the editor's floor. Mine joined them again this week and I know this is part of the journey but I couldn't help but wish oh please let this be the right person and I know.

Rejection slip in the mail today, my friends. I'm squinching my nose up as I type because I know the story probably wasn't ready. My March mini-NaNo could use months--years?-- of ripening. However, I met an editor at an SCBWI luncheon last spring, and she had a deadline for us to send one manuscript this fall. I sent it and crossed every finger and toe. But my story wasn't a good fit for her, and I can't help but think that I'm still so new and naive and I wonder when WHEN will my writing not wear a pink ribbon.

That ribbon is naivite, isn't it? It's too much hope, maybe. It's green-apple newness, and not-readiness, and not quite good enough to publish-i-ness.

And although it's best to shake it, shake myself a stiff martini, and get on with making my apple-green story much, much better, I can't help but take tonight to just sniff and sigh. Tonight I'm just sad.

What do you do with rejections? Stick 'em on a nail, like Stephen King? :) I keep them in a binder. Jay hates binders, but I figure binders make everything better. They organize and store and somehow keep old things relevant by having them perch, upright, on the edge of a shelf. My green binder is fat with four unmarked chapters and one new, thin form letter. Blech.

Tomorrow I fill the well, as my friend Sophia so eloquently reminds us. I'm sure cinnamon toast and Santa Claus will clear the blues.

How do you overcome the not-a-good-fit-for-us-best-wishes blues?

11 comments:

  1. I did a whole post on this in October after my first rejection! You can read about it here: http://gardenfulloflily.blogspot.com/2010/10/whos-on-your-cheer-squad.html. I'm really glad I read this Jes. I attended a conference in September but the editor doesn't take YA fantasy. So I thought I could submit my NaNo YA Dystopian. I'm going with my gut and I'm not going to rush it in four months. I printed out my rejection! I have it on the wall above the computer! Celebrate the rejections because we were brave enough to put ourselves out there. You said yourself, your story wasn't a good fit for her. Not that it wasn't good. Just not the right fit. You should take a bright highlighter and highlight all the good words in those letters. I love the binder idea. Totally stealing it once my rejection letters start flowing in! If I were closer, I would have made dinner tonight and brought it over for you with a bottle of wine. You'll get there. You will find the PERFECT fit! And then they'll edit it. ;-) But it will make it to the shelves! I have no doubts, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words that stuck out at me while I read this were that your story wasn't a good fit for her- for somebody else it will be perfect and you will wonder how you ever humoured the thought that anyone else could do both you and your book justice. We will be buying you in bookstores yet!

    And I second Jennie's idea, highlight all the good words and take note of the advice then try to put it aside. I wish I could find the source, but another writer said don't think of a rejection as a no, think of it as them saying you haven't sent your manuscript to the right address.

    And yes to cinnamon toast and Santa!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you, dear Jess! Hope you are filling your well with holiday good cheer. I miss you and wish you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not there yet, but it makes me feel better to know that someone like Jane Yolen still gets rejections, and she has hundreds of books in print. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas, and will look forward to a Wonderful New Year! In the words of Scarlett O'Hara "After all, tomorrow is another day." : ) Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, my friend! May 2011 be full of blessings for you! Just know that I am thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad, Jes! I didn't know... just remember, Madeleine L'Engle was rejected tons of times over 10 years for Wrinkle. I'm sorry. I would have gotten sloshed with you that night if I;d known.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two whole months without my Jessica! I'm so sad. And incredibly worried. Praying all is well. Missing you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missing you, Jessica, come back to us!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We miss you so much, Jes. Hoping all is well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica, I'm getting ready to query. It just doesn't feel the same without you...I hope you are well, my friend. I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jessica - Missing you fiercely! Hope you are well. Getting you back for Halloween would be a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete