Saturday, October 1, 2011

When Wishes Come True

Here's what mine looks like:



On Tuesday, September 27, my sister Jen and I drove from Neenah, WI, to Chicago to hear Laini Taylor read from her newest book Daughter of Smoke and Bone.



The trip could have taken 3 1/2 hours, but we did it in 5. :) One tricky exit and several wrong turns swooped us around Oakbrook Center until finally a tollbooth lady saved the day. Grace in a glass box, that's what she was, giving directions to two tired and hungry Wisconsites.


About a dozen folks gathered on the second floor of Barnes and Noble at 7. A beautiful blue-wigged bookseller passed out turquoise-feathered masks to those of us who blogged about books, and then she introduced Laini.


(And this is where I want to gush, but it's probably too much, too weird, too strong, so I'll put it in parentheses to lighten it up. But I absolutely felt like Amy from The Big Bang Theory. Socially inept Amy who girl-crushes on pretty Penny, and badgers her with titles of Bestie and BFF, wishing for sleepovers and hair-brushings. I absolutely wanted to share BFF necklaces with Laini and brush her pink hair. But, you know, I played it cool. Except for when my eyes were shining with I-love-you-so-much tears.) :)



Laini began by telling us where Daughter of Smoke and Bone originated. I think we may remember this, we followers, we familiar to the 'shiny new idea.' (Didn't we call it slutty, too? The delicious idea with that 'come hither' smile?) Hitting walls and grinding dry on a post-apocolyptic novel, Laini gave herself a day of free writing. A scene between a blue-haired daughter and her monster-dad bubbled up, and with it bubbled dozens of questions: Why did this monster raise a human girl? Why is he wearing a wishbone? And why is his shop filled with teeth?

She finished her original novel before returning to her blue-haired heroine. That original novel hasn't been touched since. Writing about Karou and Brimstone totally jazzed her, she shared; blooming their story brough tremendous wish fulfillment for her.We heard her read Akiva's attack on Karou--that important moment of his soulless eyes staring at Karou as she cocked her chin to the side in wonder--that breathless moment of a killer's hesitation.
And then she opened up the floor for questions. One woman asked about how art and illustration influenced her descriptive writing. Another commented on how hard writing a review about DoSaB is since the story is propelled by secrets and timed reveals. Laini talked about illustration for a while, mentioning (I hope these notes of mine are accurate!) not only her original graphic novel with Jim that led her to Prague for research but also a new 8-page graphic novel that Jim designed for the U.K. promotion of DoSaB. I wish they would make that available here! She also agreed that the book is hard to describe. The jacket summary took some serious work for everyone, she told us, to interest readers without giving away too much.


I asked abou Zuzana, my favorite character. ("Ooh cake. I'll take cake. But not pocket cake, because yuck.") Laini shared with us how Zuzana was important for levity and warmth--how stories without those moments of joy were a struggle for readers to return to. My sister Jen whispered "The Hunger Games," and I couldn't help but agree. Luckily, fans of Zuzana can look forward to seeing her again.


And then it was time for book signing and pictures.

And more gushings want to pour out here, and not even parenthetical ones, because it's just such a lovely moment to experience a wish coming true. How I've wished to meet Laini. Stopping short of rubbing my head onto hers, I've wanted to see how I could press some of her creativity and her energy into my own spirit. I've found so much inspiration in her blogs--how much more magic could she pass through smiles and eye-contact, laughs and eyebrow waggles and nods? And of course, words and wisdoms? I've thought of flying to Portland--maybe during CthuluCon?--and sitting at Slappycakes until she and Clementine come by.


But no need to lurk behind delicious pancakes. I've met the loveliest writer, and I've bottled up her magic. I'll mix her inspiration with a dash of my own courage and get back to my writing my own dark, beautiful stories.

When wishes come true, hearts burst with gratitude. My thanks to beautiful Jen for facing rush hour and wilty salads with me on our 12-hour adventure. I know you've fallen in love with Karou, too, and have reminisced your trip to Prague. I'm so glad you're a part of the fan club. :)


Thanks to the dads and grandma who made it possible for us moms to run away for a day. Thank you again, tollbooth worker, who guided us out of neverending I-94. And thank you, Laini, for your gorgeous, elsewhere stories and for sharing them with us in person, and in polka-dots.

5 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    What a beautiful tribute. Just lovely.
    You know, after reading this, I don't think you need to rub her head against yours to get a bit of the magic. You've already got it.
    Get back to those beautiful dark stories, then one day someone can write a post like this about you.
    -Lyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to comment on the pink hair first - it's just SO shiny pink. I LOVE it! Oh, Jess, I'm so glad you are BACK! I'm glad that you got to go see Laini, speak to her, meet her and get some of that magic. Thank for sharing this special day with us. And how hard does your sister rock for going with you?!?!

    You have been sorely missed, my friend! I can hardly wait to see Laini when she's here the end of October. I'm actually shopping for a blue wig. Or is it weird to go as Karou? Well, I'm weird then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jes, that was the by far the coolest day I have had in a long time! Thanks for taking me with you. It was awesome even if I did get us lost in Milwaukee after a winning Brewers game. Laini Taylor, Anthropologie and Lush are the ingredients for a most wonderful natural high ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyra, how very, very kind. Thank you! I certainly am inspired to get back to it. Do you have Laini's feathered mask posted by your computer? :) Mine certainly is, to remind me of following the story where all the 'whys' and 'what ifs' take me.

    And Jennie Bailey, it SO VERY GOOD to be back! But very much mostly because you are here, thriving, and in all ways the warmest welcome wagon any girl could wish for. I am sincerely excited to keep going on this writers' journey with you. Can't wait to hear what's next for you.

    And Jen--who knew the Brewers played on Tuesdays? :) Despite those crazy fans who plugged our way home, the thought of that trip will be something I'll ALWAYS smile on. This kind of magic--this blue-feathered, pink-haired, soft-cotton, jasmine-scented, sugar-scrubbed magic will forever yank up the corners of my mouth. At the very least. At the most, it will zap us both into a better sense of what we want to make of our quiet Neenah lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow....I never thought...my friend and I toyed with the idea of driving to Laini's Chicago visit. However, with my daughter expecting any day I didn't want to get so far away from her. Though in hindsight, since the baby is still not here, we probably could have. *sigh* One just never knows.

    I am so thrilled that you got to, and had such a magical time (traffic issues aside). I completely understand about wanting to try and rub some of the Laini's-Magic into yourself, but I agree that you already have your own magic. All that is lacking is for you to stay inspired to tap into it. I wish you well in this. Can't wait to read more from you. Welcome back to the blogging, hopefully we'll both be writing more. : )

    Your inspiration has inspired me, that sounds kooky, but oh well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete