Friday, October 28, 2011

Love and Magic

We partied at school today, students and teachers alike. Of course I had to try to coil a bright blue wig around a couple of paint brushes, wear my new favorite wishbone, and go as Karou. :)


I hardly do her justice, right? But I had to try. I carried my signed copy of Daughter of Smoke and Bone around the halls with me, sharing the good news of brilliant Laini Taylor to all who would hear. :)

Incidentally, the Queen of the Night there, beside me, is Becky, our science teacher. Becky is the smartest person I know. How can she be that adorable AND know everything about everything? It's not fair. Stars? She knows them. Volcanoes? Knows 'em. Fishes? Knows. Physics and spiders and electricity and turtle poop--she knows about it all. I love LOVE working across the hall from her. I hear the weirdest, most disturbing stuff through her open door, especially when gerbils die, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And since I'm sharing things I love, I have to again say that I love M. T. Anderson. I read this speech he shared while accepting the Boston Globe/Horn Book award for The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, and I've decided I'm going to memorize it. I'm hanging the speech beside my mirror so I can ingest its wisdom and vocabulary while curling my hair. That way, when he comes back, I can say so much more than, "Thank you for coming to Wisconsin." I can say things like "fatuous emotion," "vertiginously rapid," and "vernacular of Americana."

I also read this short piece about his telling a classmate about the color of dinosaurs, and I laughed so hard I cried.

And then I found this lovely, long interview from years ago. I learned others love the M. T., too, and also that he hates the word 'slacks' because it smells of thigh-sweat.

Just passing the good word tonight--there's so much out there to love. Halloween, and amazing coworkers and characters and creators. What are you just loving tonight?

4 comments:

  1. I'm loving South Carolina in the fall - yes, it has a fall; I'm loving that my husband is suddenly enthralled with coupon books; I'm loving that there are still tomatoes growing on my patio; and I'm especially loving that I'll be in WI in exactly 3 weeks! On a side note, how do you create links in your paragraphs with your own words?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Super Love! the Karou costume!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that your husband is couponing. Does he watch that show on TLC? Is he going to start a stockpile? :) Of course, I love that you'll be here in three weeks. Wish it were sooner!

    For the links--some gracious someone (was it Jennie? Sophia?)--explained to me that you 1) highlight the text you want to link to 2) click on the bright green hyperlink symbol (up where the 'add photo' or 'add video' symbols are). 3) paste in the url when prompted. Easy-breezey!

    What are YOU going to be for Halloween? Any parties this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ROCKED Karou! I love that wig. Must find one myself! Off to read your links (after responding to your next post, of course).

    ReplyDelete