Thursday, November 3, 2011

Author Steven Polansky Speaks at the Academy

I teach at an international academy in Northeast Wisconsin. Parents pop in often; we have moms who visit classes, dads who eat lunch with their daughters . . . imagine my surprise and delight learning that the attentive dad who joins his girl so very often in the cafeteria is Steven Polansky, author of Dating Miss Universe


and


The Bradbury Report


(Aw, man, trouble getting the cover to post . . . )


The first book is a collection of short stories that shows the failings of humanity with humor and grace. The second book is a novel that explores what it means to be human in 2071 when cloning is legal and "Copies" are used only for the aid of the "Original." Totally fascinating! And Steven totally needed to speak to our students! How is it possible we had not plundered all of his knowledge already? What riches to mine! :)


He graciously agreed to join us for an hour this week, kicking off our NaNo WriMo with an honest, in-depth discussion of the business of writing.


My hand flew as he spoke because quite literally every sentence he shared was either poignant or hilarious or ridiculously insightful or tremendously useful to us as writers. Ten pages of scrawl have been typed into four pages of notes. Here, I'd like to reproduce the gems I think will help us as we continue living our dreams as writers.


1. The world of publishing will be so changed in three years that in 2015, our students will know more about it than he. The institutions he knows--agents, editors, and printing companies--are being replaced, rendering all his years' experience in publishing obselete. (How fascinating and sobering is that?)


2. Consider the length of your novel. Length is gift we can offer our readers. He compared a small piece of writing to the passing glance of a beautiful face in mass-transit. One can fall in love in a moment like that, but the love doesn't linger. Contrast that passing glance with a deep, devoted marriage, and one will better comprehend the sense of knowing we experience reading a long novel. He said, leaving a world long lived in (he mentioned Harry Potter as a popular example), "The feeling is you are now transported back into your universe, and it is utterly transformed."


3. The life of a writer can be "the best of lives and the worst of lives." He confessed every morning starts the same. He faces his blank screen, and his inner critic tells him, 'Everything you've done before makes no difference. You have no idea how to do this next scene. You can't do it.' And it's awful. But then writes one sentence, and then two, then four, and he eventually forgets he can't do it


4. He gets his ideas for stories by keeping open. He watches and listens. He refuses to play the market research game, sniffing out what sells. Also, he refuses to keep a notebook to jot ideas into because 1) he'd never look at it, and 2) he'd forget what his notes meant if he did look at it. Instead, he just pays attention to those ideas that don't go away. If an idea stays in his head for three or four weeks, then he knows it's worth taking seriously. (Where do you get your ideas from?)


5. It takes him three years to write a novel. He wished those of us trying to do it in a month the best of luck. :) Rather than blasting through a zero draft as most of us have (or are), he methodically focuses on each chapter, perfecting it and then completely leaving it. He sites Dickens as a model for this style of writing: when a chapter of Dickens' Great Expectations was printed in the paper, thousands of readers made the events in that chapter indelible. Dickens couldn't go back and change things. Steven showed us some eighty pages of notes for one chapter of his current novel. (Again, how fascinating is this? I have six pages of notes! For the whole thing!)


6. He left us with two final thoughts:


If you truly want to be a writer, you should write. And there is no substitute for writing.


If you truly want to be a writer, you should read. And there is no substitue for reading.


My heartfelt thanks to Steven Polansky for sharing his wit and wisdom with us. I very much hope he will join us again soon!


So my friends, what do you think of his writing process? In the dawn of NaNos, is it worth reconsidering our methods?

9 comments:

  1. I find it interesting he said he based his one book every three years method on Dickens considering Dickens was the epitome of a prolific writer since the newspaper/magazine Steven mentions making Dickens's work indelible also meant he had to work to regular deadlines. Yes, when he published chapters it meant he couldn't revise them, but he still had to write them almost as quickly as a NaNoer. Hard Times was published in weekly installments so I'm pretty sure Dickens didn't have the luxury of 80 pages of notes per chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, in my head that last comment sounds neutral and genuinely interested, but reading it back it sounds so rude! I love the written word and all, but I can't help missing *tone* sometimes. I really do find it fascinating that a writer can be inspired by one element of another writer's style and take it in a different direction.

    His last two points that if you want to be a writer you have to write and you have to read totally hit the mark-- you can learn pretty much everything you need to know about the craft by writing and reading and writing some more. Sorry to hog the comments, Jes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--don't apologize Sophia! I thought your point was totally fair. In addition, it helped me feel less guilty about those six pages of notes I have for my NaNo. :)

    Doesn't it give us some comfort that, despite those stacks of notes, he faces the same qualms as we? That one can't really prepare ENOUGH to make the fear of the blank screen go away? I find that so interesting . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a relief! And definitely agreed that it seems like the blank page always comes with some fear, even if it is sometimes, thankfully, buried under the excitement of 'new! shiny!' feelings. How is your NaNo going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that idea about length being a gift we offer our readers! I tend to get burnt out after about 50,000 words (sometimes more like 30,000, if I'm perfectly honest), but I think if I consider that the more words I write, the greater the gift for my readers, it will help considerably with pressing onward. Thank you for sharing his tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, E Louise Bates! So happy to have met you. When I saw references to Anne of Green Gables, Jane Austen, Aslan, AND Gandalf on your blog, I knew we had to be friends! :)Isn't 30,000 a wicked number? That's where I burn out, too. I'm hoping Steven's advice will ring in my fried brain when I'm scrambling for word 30, 001!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophia, I'm behind tonight, but honestly thoughts of YOU keep me plugging away. In Laini's mini-Nano, you consisitenly hit your daily goals. 1667. 1667. 1667. I was blown away by that! I'm channeling your determination and will to catch up this weekend and absolutely WIN my first NaNo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Jes, that's so nice of you to say! Wishing you lots of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so interesting to see how different every writer's approach is - from pantsing to plotting, writing a book in a month to a year to three years, writing every day to writing a few times a week...we all have to figure out what works best for us.

    How's the NaNo going? Jes, how are you having time to blog? I can't fit it in hardly...in fact, I'm crawling in bed without a Monday post when I promised myself I would do one this week. Oh well. The Gate Keeper is more important.

    ReplyDelete