Monday, June 7, 2010

Put. The Scissors. Down.

21,500 words. That's all I've got after my cuts.

Oh my stars. I have 1/3 of a novel. What do I do?

I've got a couple of little plans. I need to take some notes walking down certain streets. Gotta see how the sun hits the trees at certain times. Check out flowers in bloom, birds in song, etc. Plan to visit two herb-queens to get their stories on making concoctions and to sniff around their greenhouses. I'm looking forward to these little visits.

But I need much more. I need whole huge chunks more. I need twice as much story as I have now, and I know notes and descriptions aren't going to give it to me.

I'm leaning on Ray Bradbury. Laini posted a clip of him talking about his creating Fahrenheit 451. The editors required 25,000 more words for his original manuscript. He asked, "How did I do that? I got the characters to come to me. Montag came to me and said, 'Do you know who I am completely?' I said 'No.' I said, 'Tell me.'" He listened to each of his characters and let them tell their stories.

I hope I have the ears to hear. And honestly, I hope I've created honest-enough characters who will tell me who they are completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzD0YtbViCs

4 comments:

  1. Wow, when you revise you don't do it by halves! I think it's really brave of you to cut that much, to search so determinedly for the perfect word, phrase, sentence, paragraph. Are you scared or excited about the rewriting? There's no fear coming across here, just more of that same determination, an attitude of 'well, this is what I have to do so I'm going to do it'; I'm guessing it's the former.

    Good luck, Jes, you can do it! And keep us updated about when your characters start talking to you. I have no doubt they will.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did all my cuts by hand so I wouldn't see the low word count afterwards and panic! I'm not sure what my word count is at. I have no doubt you will find your 'whole chunks', Jes! I know that you will. Sounds like you have some fun little adventures with herbs coming up there that will really benefit the story. I'm already intrigued! Also, I'm so proud of you for jumping back in despite what was going on - and glad that you did too! You're an inspiration for me this week as I struggle to keep my head above water. Jes did it so I can too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello all...

    Jessica is out wandering parks, sniffing blooms, and listening to birdies tweet as I post this. I'm so happy that she is embarking on this journey in such creative ways.

    As for me, I have little experience in cutting. I'll sometimes write two different versions of a scene or a chapter, but then I'll see that clearly one is better, and I'll just toss the other one.

    As many of you can relate, painfully removing part of a story that you've birthed from your lil' guts is a difficult thing to do. A bit like a self-appendectomy. No thanks.

    I know that while I am basically a quiet fellow, once I get a subject that I feel strongly about, I can talk (or write) about it pretty much endlessly. Jessica find it terribly annoying. But, of course, everything I spew out is INCREDIBLY PRECIOUS AND IMPORTANT.

    So, that is quite a challenge for me.

    By the way, for those who are interested (though you may no longer be after you read it), I've created my new blog at http://rolltar.blogspot.com/ which is my silly tribute to the fantasy genre. It's not for everyone, but you never know what will tickle somebody's funny bone.

    Tah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophia--thank you so much! I am daunted and unnerved, it's true. But I can't give up now, right? I've been listening to one character to see if she wants her story told much more. I may follow her home after a party to see what she's like when she's alone.

    Jennie--I'd like to see a picture of your rainbow post-its. I'm totally in love with the idea of color-coding ideas and changes. Can you devote a whole blog entry on your system without giving too much of your story away?

    Jay--Baby, everything you say is absolutely incredibly precious and important. That is so true. Don't you let anyone tell you otherwise. ;) (The first time he gave me a mss, ladies, I red-lined and corrected like he was a middle school student. I've learned my lesson! All we really need is praise! ;) And that goes for the students too!)

    ReplyDelete