Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One More Round?

High fives, my friends! Clinks of crystal goblets glittering with champagne! Noogies, hugs, fist-pumps (and/or fist-bumps), and cheers led by team captain, Jennie! What an extraordinary achievement: to have committed to writing for a month, and to share that month's ups and downs together. So brave! So vulnerable! So awesome! I couldn't be more delighted to be among you all. What a treat to have traveled this road with you.
We each came into this venture at different spots of our novels: jldy, just beginning a long-loved story; DM giving fresh eyes to a story you've been working on (and living out in your imagination) for three years. Jennie, in the delicious throes of following a story that you had developed well but that was twisting its own plot, and I was pushing through a story I had started in November but really hadn't devoted time to until Laini Taylor called for a mini-nano in March.

So where did we end up? Did we meet any personal goals? Or was this month really just about developing: developing both our stories and ourselves?

I don't think I could list all the lessons and blessings I gathered through this experience.

You three are enormous blessings. (With the door always open for new writers. We're a friendly bunch; come join us!)

I learned that most of us have "the sky was purple" moments, and I also (humbly!) learned that it's probably better that the sky was purple rather than "the amethyst twilight kissed the tips of the quivering aspen while the June breezes slipped in and out of Carla's red curls, blah, blah, blah."


This lesson is due to a fantastic essay on how important it is to write like we talk. Author Timothy Hallinan shares this fantastic piece of advice: Read it [your story] aloud to someone you like and trust – someone like your ideal reader. It's amazing how the better pieces of writing zip right by when you're reading your work to someone, and how the less-good patches seem to take longer to get through. You can actually feel the energy – both yours and your listener's – flag when the over-written material makes its appearance. Circle or underline those passages and keep reading. You'll come back to them during your next writing session.

Note to self: NO OVERWRITING

I also learned to stop taking my issues out on the NaNo. Poor NaNo. I gave it a hard time last week. :) To make up, I'll share this wildly successful NaNo story:

Stephanie Perkins wrote a novel during the 2007 NaNo WriMo. She cleaned it up, sent it to an agent, sold it to an editor, cleaned it up a bazillion times more, and her novel Anna and the French Kiss is coming out this winter. Hurray Stephanie!! Bravo for drive and resilience and creativity and--lest I forget to say it--hurray for the NaNo that brought you and Anna together! :) (Seriously, click on her name and then scroll down a little in her blog. She lists the events of the whole whirlwindish ride. Totally inspiring.)

So are we going to go again? One more ride on the roller coaster? Are we up to sharing out ups, and down with sharing our downs?

I'm totally in.


In March, I wrote 14,000 words; in April, 9400. I would love to finish the bare-bones of this story in May--another 7,000? And then start revising.


What do you say?

It's within view, guys! :) Can we make it through the poppies? Will weariness overtake us?

4 comments:

  1. It's been more than three years, hasn't it? I think it's been three years on Chapter 13, maybe.

    I'm behind on my writing goals, but I finally found a job this week (though it is only one of those jobs you get until you find a better job). It is taking up a lot of my time & energy during the week, but I feel myself getting stronger inside as I'm shaking off the long eight months of professional hibernation.

    My newest goal is to write on my three days off -- hopefully all three -- and have some great totals to post this upcoming Wednesday.

    I feel as though it will not be weariness that will assail me, but exhileration. Sometimes when I am pushed the hardest with the chips most stacked against me, that's when I see what I'm truly capable of. I just need to organize my time and use my energy wisely.

    Good writing to you all! I can't wait to hear where you all will be going to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in. :) I wrote about 400 words this week. Overall for the month of April that puts me between 1500-1600. For a first time attempt, I'm proud. I'd like to double that in May.

    I struggled through building foundations and am beginning to feel a little more easy about hearing my characters and watching as the story takes shape. This is definitely something I'd like to see to the finish line. However, I will admit that I've been susceptible to the power of the poppies - or rather, the beautiful sunny days that call me away from the basement computer. (It's so dark and cold down there.) The support you guys give, as well as the accountiblity, is very much appreciated. I look forward to what May will bring

    ReplyDelete
  3. (pushes all her chips to the center of the table) I'm ALL IN!

    Congratulations on the new job, Jason! The job before the job is always a good one. I have had a few of those. They're great because you never get too attached. I always took all of my sick days (to write and play! hey, mental health counts!) and vacation days. I didn't put too much into them (oh that sounds so bad to say now, but it's true) so that I had enough leftover at the end of the day for me. Well, not always true. There were days when all I could manage was Xena and a nap with my cat.

    We're close, Jes! I think May is our month. We'll finish these W.I.P.s up and head into June rewriting, polishing and dreaming of agents and editors. Happy Writing everyone! I promise not to let anyone fall asleep in the poppies. If I don't wake you up, Lily will. Hope no one minds slobbery dog kisses. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, I love it! Bring on the slobbery dog kisses, Lily! :)
    This is fantastic, you guys. What a treat to go one more round with you all. We will face the struggles of time, and sunshine, and work, and procrastination, and the lure of reading other blogs instead of writing . . . and we will conquer them all! And if we don't quite do that, we will talk about it with frankness, but not guilt, because guilt kills creativity faster than anything I know.
    Best of luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete