Friday, May 28, 2010

Rock and Sand

Madeleine L'Engle once wrote, "It's a good thing to have all the props pulled out from under us occasionally. It gives us some sense of what is rock under our feet, and what is sand."

All of the props were pulled out from beneath us recently. Love kept us from plummeting, and Hope, and Support. The sand still sort of swirls around me. If I peer into it, my eyes sting with the grit of Injustice and Fear. I try not to look. Standing with Jay and Clara is all I need right now.

So okay. Standing and solid. Back I go, then, to my story. My story is ready for rewriting. I pulled it up yesterday and officially began revisions. I love revisions, love cutting. Huge dangers, though, in spending 60 minutes on two sentences. Did that this morning. Can't succumb. The goal is to have round 1 of revisions and research done by the end of June.

*sigh. Here we go. A little shakey, a little pale. But determined to get back in. I hope you will join me again. I've missed you. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so glad you are back! I was worried again. Injustice is something I don't stomach well at all. I've struggled with it my entire life. I think growing up in fairy tales (or with my head in the clouds, as my dad would say) really messed with me - good always triumphs over evil in my worlds. In the real world, the bad guys mostly win. Life is never fair. My dad tried to teach me that lesson at a very young age, but I am stubborn and refused to learn it. I am so glad that you are standing with Jay and Clara. Firmly! Deep breath and here we go. Into the revisions! End of June is an excellent goal. I will join you once again. My rewrite has turned out to be quite the bear because I changed some backstory, which affected more of my story than I thought it would. 300 pages is dwindling and I'm feeling really overwhelmed. In the end, I think it makes the story stronger, but I have to outline again or I might get lost out there. Oh, and shiny new story ran across my path to tempt me to follow it as well. I marked where it ran off and will come back to chase it later after our rewrites are done.

    I have a funny robot video up that will make you laugh! :-) Happy Writing! Did I mention how happy I am that you are back?!?! Very, very happy!

    ReplyDelete